Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mosaic Window

I know this is my quilting blog but I thought I would share my most recent projects. I took a mosaic class at Vintage Pixie and learned that anything can be made beautiful with glass. We were told to pick a picture that we wanted to make in our window. I have always loved the Van Gogh painting "A Starry Night", so I thought that was what I would do. I had planned from the beginning to hang the window from my trees in the backyard no matter how it turned out, it was art. I first had to draw the picture outline on paper because my sample was smaller then the frame, then had to tape the paper on the back.
This is the start, I cut the glass to make a really abstract look to look. I was so thrilled I was able to do the Van Gogh Painting.
We had 8hrs to get the glass cutting and gluing done, which I thought was a long time but since I was cutting my pieces so little it had taken me longer.
The 8 hrs had gone by and I was not done, so thankfully Leslie let me come back the next day to finish up, as we were grouting the piece 2 days later.



We came back to her workshop 2 days later to grout our masterpieces, and they all turned out really nice, I was surprised at the transformation just by having grouted it. I hung it in my back yard from the trees and the bets were on to see how long until someone walking down the back lane would either break it for fun or steal it. It is still there weeks later.

1 comment: