Thursday, September 22, 2011

Two Quilts for Two Friends.

I have been working on a scrap quilt for a few years, I had started it then put it away and then pulled it out again. This time I was determined to finish it. The pattern had two sizes 48 blocks or 96 blocks. I would usually do 96 blocks but because I had already pulled it out a few times I decided to do 48 blocks. Here is it and it fits on my basement floor within the restraint of that pole in the middle of the floor.


When I started to sew the squares together, the back of the quilt top ended up having this cool pattern develop, so before I sandwiched it and it was lost forever here is the forever hidden pattern.




It looks cool with strips of colour along the seams, standing out against the white.

This quilt is for a friend of mine that I run with so I added a running shoe material as the borders.



I always add my own written labels to the back of my quilts with a quote and my name.
I used a flannel that I picked up in Beaver Bay when I was passing through the States, it has snowmen on it and it is so soft and warm, feels like good flannel not cheap flannel.


I get my husband to stand on a step ladder so I can take a picture, that is his job in the quilt making process.
When I tell him to smile for the camera, he is really smiling back there.

I took a quilt class through the Thunder Bay Quilt Guild called Oklahoma Backroads,
the class was geared towards a scrap quilt and so I was interested right away.
Of coarse I chose to do the largest option,

He is smiling back there.


I added running shoe material to the border of this one also as I run with her too. I put a flannel on the back of the quilt with lady bugs and it is also very soft. The label is my usual with a quote and my name.


I have not mentioned who their names are, as they have yet to receive the quilts, I don't think they check out my blog, so I'm safe, and if they do, Surprise.
That is one part about blogging that is new and I have to get used to is not revealing a gift to someone on my blog before a person receives it.
I guess it's good in a way, makes me have to finish things in order to post a blog!

2 comments:

  1. They are just beautiful Val, I esp like the Oklahoma backroads pattern. lucky girls to receive these from you I hope they know how special they are!! Nice smile brother!

    ReplyDelete