Saturday, August 13, 2011

When we moved into our house I was able to take over the basement and create my quilting space. I have added to my quilting space since moving in 4 years ago and this is where it is at today.








I recently took a class taught by one of the guild members and she taught Bonnie Hunters: Oklahoma Backroads (which I finally finished and will post at a later date), she had told us about the way Bonnie Hunter organizes her scraps and so I thought I would organize mine (I do not have a before picture which is unfortunate because it was a mess of everthing I had ever cut)

        This is what it looks like now, all neatly organized.....for now (good intentions).

The next few pictures are of a scrap quilt I have been working on for awhile, I had put it away in the spring and now I have made it my priority to finish it before I start another project (all you quilters out there know what that is like).

Someone I work with had left some quilting magazines on the table at work for the taking and I found this great pattern in the Quiltmakers May/June 2001 issue,

Here are a few of the squares I have started (above). I threw in scraps from my scrap pile, before I had organized it and scraps left over from many of the quilts I had aready made.

 I had my scrap pile all set and away I went.

Scrap quilts are my absolute favorite, I enjoy the way that putting together fabrics that you never would have put together in a million years actually in the end look good together.
I have not gotten very far but I will finish it before moving on. One of my trademarks is, if the pattern gives the option of making a twin quilt and a queen sized quilt I always go bigger, in the end it may even be king size.
If you notice in the picture of my quilt space (above) there is a pole in the middle of my floor this is my restraint, this allows me to do queen size and if I cram it, king size. I'm frightened to think how big they would be if I didn't have that pole there.
That is the one bit of advice I have when buying a house watch out for that pole that sits in the middle of the floor, could be a deal breaker.

Here is what the squares look like so far layed out on the floor, you get a feeling of where the pattern is going.




      I am well on my way to.......of coarse a queen size.
       
           I do have another project on the backburner, but vow not to dip into it yet.
 

And the fun never ends!




  


2 comments:

  1. I love scrap quilts too, I've made several of Bonnie Hunters patterns they really are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, you always make everything into a fun and memorable project! I love the fact that you buy material and "just do it" already. You dive right into the project and that is why so many people have such beautiful quilts from you, and that album is bursting with all your pictures. you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete