Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Touched by Friends

I saw a pattern in a quilt magazine for a "Hand Quilt", where they traced peoples hands and appliqued the fabric hands to quilt squares.
When a colleague of mine announced she was retiring I thought this would be a great opportunity to make this quilt.
I put up an envelope and gave everyone written instructions on how to trace their hand on freezer paper (which I would later make into a fabric hand), and label the hand with their name.
Doing it this way made all the hands on the quilt individual, some of the hands you even knew who they belonged to without seeing the name.
I never thought of how much work it was, I hand appliqued 58 hands to quilt squares.



This quilt is the very quilt that started my trend of making quilts for people I work with if they retire or have a baby.

We gave it to her at her retirement party.
She was thrilled!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful gift to receive as a retirement gift! it will be treasured for many many years, now that just warms your heart.

    ReplyDelete