Sunday, December 25, 2011

Moose Quilt

A quilt shop from Grand Marais had brought a sample of a rag flannel quilt to display at their booth during our guild quilt show which I ended up buying a kit for it when I was passing through Grand Marais.
I started this quilt on a Sunday a week before Christmas thinking I should make it for my Grandfather as I had not found a gift to give to him for Christmas. That Sunday I did power quilting all day.




This is what I got accomplished that Sunday, I still had a long way to go. It was made from really good flannel, thick and soft.
The next day I carried on when I got off work and finished another good chunk of it.

I used my new machine and used the blanket stitch to secure the moose and the trees, I have never had the blanket stitch on my old machine and this just finished it off.
I laid it out on the floor and then began to sew the rows together.



I sewed all the rows together and this is the worst part because I have to cram the blanket into that tiny space in the machine between the needle and the motor.
I also had to applique the antlers of the moose down so I also had to turn the blanket around and around within that tiny space.




I finished the quilt on Christmas Eve and wrapped it without taking a picture of it, I will post a finished picture of it when my grandfather opens it on the 29th.
I washed it 3 times to fray the edges and it frayed really well.

2 comments: